RUMI

Cada árbol y cada planta del prado
parece estar danzando;
aquéllos con ojos comunes
sólo los verán fijos e inmóviles.

31 mar 2011

MOVING INTO THE LIGHT

MOVING INTO THE LIGHT
by Susan Jeffers, Ph.D.

Somewhere along the way, so many of us have lost our peace of mind. It's time to find it. Finding our peace of mind requires that we build a sense of trust in ourselves. Although life can sometimes be very difficult, we have to understand that we can learn and grow from it all. From the worst that life can give us, we can find, when we look for it, a sense of meaning and purpose. It's all about learning how to create peaceful thoughts within that help us push through out fears and heal our hurts and our hearts.

Somewhere along the way, so many of us have lost our ability to appreciate. It's time to find it. Yes, it sometimes feels as though we are drowning in bad news. But that shouldn't prevent us from moving into the light and seeing all that's good in our lives. If you feel there isn't any good in your life, take another look. It's there. In fact, as we focus on the good, the world looks rather wonderful. It's all about where we choose to look.

Somewhere along the way, so many of us have lost our joy. It's time to find it. Where did it go? It went the way of the complexity of life. We work so hard and play so little. There's something wrong with that picture. A little play makes us touch a special part within that allows us to know that we can lighten up, have fun, enjoy our loved ones, and balance our life with many riches.

Somewhere along the way, so many of us have lost our ability to be honest with ourselves. It's time to find it. We think of ourselves as giving people, but most of us focus primarily on the getting. We want to out-do everyone else...winning at all costs. That doesn't sound like giving to me. We need to strive to do our very best, not to outdo someone else, but to become the strongest and most loving that we can be. And that definitely includes helping the world in our own special way. By definition, that is truly winning the game of life.

Somewhere along the way, so many of us have lost our sense of power. It's time to find it. The world has become so big, so complicated, so seemingly out of our reach. We often feel there is nothing that we can do to change the way it is. Nothing can be further from the truth. As one of my teachers so many years ago taught me, "Stand where you are, make a circle, see what needs to be done, and do it!" I have listened to his advice and it has made all the difference in the world.

Somewhere along the way, so many of us have lost sight of all the love that could be created in this world. It's time to find it. We need to do all we can to change what is creating all the hate that puts our globe in peril these days. No matter where we live, we all have the power to take a stand on the side of love. We can't allow judgment and self-righteousness, which can ultimately lead to death and destruction, to rule our world. We all have the power to find loving solutions within and around us.

Somewhere along the way, so many of us have lost sight of the light. It's time to find it. And once we find it, we can become a model to others thereby sharing the beauty we have found. It gives us such a wonderful sense of purpose.

Let me tell you my story of finding and sharing the light. Many years ago, before I became a writer of self-help books, I had the following dream: I was standing on a little hill and I noticed that when I looked to the left there was sunshine, beach, peace, delicious warmth, and a glowing sense of life. And when I looked to the right there was a very dark sky and parched dry earth with many people shivering in the cold with a palpable sense of gloom and doom. The difference was staggering!

When I made this amazing discovery, I decided to take action. I ran over to the people in darkness and started shouting "Look, look over there! It's beautiful. Just get up and move yourself into the light and warmth!" But to my amazement, no one would listen. After a while, I realized I couldn't really control anyone else's behavior. I could only control my own. With a sigh, I decided to simply move myself out of the darkness and walk into the light...which is exactly what I did. When I reached the beautiful warm sand, I found a comfortable spot, sat myself down, and began embracing the beauty. I immediately felt at peace.

And then a strange thing happened: One person on the side of misery turned around and looked at me enjoying the light. Very slowly, he picked himself up and began walking toward me. When he reached the spot where I was sitting, he simply sat down next to me, and joined me in taking in the beauty. I thought to myself, "Aah! I'm so happy someone else sees what I am seeing!" And, lo and behold, soon another person came and joined us...and another...and another...and another. Soon the beach was filled with people spreading their joy from one person to another. It was a heavenly scene, indeed.

It was in that peaceful state that I suddenly woke up trying very hard to hold on to my dream. I thought to myself, "What was that all about?" My answer to myself was this: "I too used to live in the dark and, over the years, I had many wonderful teachers living in the light and they showed me the way. I want to do the same for others. I realize that I can't force others to see what I can see. I can only put my own knowledge and experiences out there...and then go take my place in the sun...with the possibility that others will join me." And through the many books and audios I have created, my dream has come true. I receive such wonderful feedback from so many of you around the world thanking me and telling me that, metaphorically speaking, that you looked my way and made the decision to move out of the darkness and join me in the light.

My dream is a lesson for us all:

We can't change the thoughts and behavior of others, but we can all serve as a model to others as we learn the secrets of moving ourselves from a place of darkness into the light.

And for those of you who are just beginning this wonderful journey, trust that you are slowly, but surely, finding your way into the light...and becoming a model to all those around you. Welcome!

From my heart to yours,
Susan Jeffers

Copyright © 2011 Susan Jeffers, Ph.D. All rights reserved.
Adapted from Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway®